Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Product Review: Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream

Raise your hand if you have dry, itchy skin.

 Yup, so do I.

My skin has always been relatively dry, but this fall and winter I started noticing that my skin was itchy and I was getting a red, patchy rash on my legs. Sometimes it would go away, but other times the itch was incredibly persistent. I tried moisturizing with lotions labeled "normal or dry skin" but they just stopped working after a time. I also tried moisturizing body washes, but those didn't help either. Some of them were mildly scented, which may or may not have made the situation worse. I even tried smearing Aloe Vera gel on my legs. That did help, but it didn't feel nice to have my legs feel really sticky afterwards.

I finally found some relief with Aveeno body wash. But still the rash persisted. I did a little bit of research and, as it turns out, I have a skin condition called atopic dermatitis. Atopic dermatitis is more commonly known as eczema.

Yes, I have eczema.

Since I figured out what was wrong with my skin, it was time to find a treatment for it, preferably one that didn't involve using cortisone or other steroid-containing creams. I found relief whilst perusing my local Ulta store (for those of you that don't know, Ulta is a beauty supply store). I saw that they had a section of Aveeno products and as I scanned the shelf I saw my skin's savior (okay, maybe that's a little dramatic): Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream.

This product, coupled with my Aveeno body wash, has been nothing short of amazing for my skin. I started noticing a huge difference in my skin from day 1 of using the body wash/eczema therapy cream combo. The itching went down immediately and my skin looks so healthy. I have no more visible signs of eczema on my legs or near my elbows. I apply this cream straight out of the shower and slather it generously onto my legs, arms, neck, or anywhere else that may be feeling a little dry. Aveeno products are completely fragrance and steroid free and use oatmeal as their active ingredients. The eczema therapy cream does have a mild oatmeal smell, so you might smell like breakfast if you use it consistently.  

The only two downsides to this product are the price and the thickness of it. Since it is technically medicated, it is a little more expensive than your typical moisturizer. An 8 oz tube can run me about $13 depending on where I get it. The other downside is that it is quite thick takes a while to absorb into your skin after you apply it. For  me, it takes about 20-30 minutes. Since I apply it right after my shower, I can get away with wearing loose shorts and a tank top while I get ready and by the time I am ready to get dressed, the product has fully absorbed. 

Thank you, Aveeno for bringing my skin some much-needed relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment