Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas time is here!

Hello, again, fellow readers! After being MIA for almost two weeks, I have returned. No, I have not forgotten that my blog exists. I have just been pretty busy between my hospital work, nannying, and getting ready for Christmas.

There are various things I have been doing to prepare for Christmas, some are typical and some not so typical.

The most obvious is putting up Christmas decorations and buying gifts. In my room, I have put up a ribbon bow that I made, a ornamental tree from Target, and a mini Nativity scene. A blog about how I made the ribbon bow might be up soon. My older brother, his girlfriend, and I will be putting up decorations around the house and outdoor Christmas lights.

As usual, I have been working at the local hospital for my internship. I love working at the hospital. Yes, it is tiring and hard on the body, but it is so incredibly rewarding. This rotation, I seem to be doing only minor things such as changing sheets, fetching items for patients, talking to patients, and and helping the nurses with minor procedures. Last week, I helped an older woman get EEG glue out of her hair. Every single time I do these seemingly mundane tasks, the patient I am with always seems to be a little bit happier than they were before I had done the task. I guess in a hospital setting, it truly is the little things that matter the most. The patients love having someone change their sheets.  I will be going in for a shift on Christmas day and I am interested to see if the energy on the floor will be any different than it is on a daily basis. I've found volunteering to be a great thing to be doing at Christmas time because it is a humbling experience and I get to bring my service and joy to others.

Another way I was able to serve and bring joy to others this seasons was at a Christmas party over the weekend. The youth ministry team at my church and an organization called Stand Up for Kids put together a Christmas party for homeless teens and families. The whole idea of the party was to give them a Christmas since they are not able to have a Christmas of their own. We had over 70 kids and teens at the Christmas party and they were all smiles. The one thing that I found most interesting was that the phrase "Homelessness does not have a face" could not have been more true. Every child and teen at the party had a sponsor who gave them gifts and more often than not, a teen that I thought was just another volunteer with youth ministry or Stand Up for Kids was in fact homeless. The Christmas party was a great way to spread Christmas cheer and I also got to know some of the youth ministry teens better.

In a few short days, I will have one of my best friends from Chicago come visit me until the 24th. I suspect my posts will be less frequent, but I will do my best to put up at least one post while she is here.

That is all for now. Christmas blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment