Tuesday, December 11, 2012

DIY Ribbon Bow

Before Thanksgiving, I decided that I wanted to make a Christmas decoration for my room. I decided to make a bow out of thick wired ribbon. It was relatively simple to make and only took about fifteen minutes. Here is how I made it. I will also include the video that I used to make the bow.

1. Gather supplies:
  • Thick wired ribbon (the one I used was 2.5 inches wide)
  • Scissors
2. Measure a length of ribbon that is about 8-12 inches long. The larger the length, the fuller it will be.
3. Bring the end of the ribbon halfway across the length and fold.
4. Take the length you measured in step 2 and fold the ribbon on itself however many time you would like. I think I did 10-12 folds.
5. Finish the fold by taking another length of ribbon that is half the length of your Step 2 length over your last fold.
6. Adjust your ribbon so that the two half-length pieces line up in the middle
7. Take your scissors and cut a slit about 1/3 of the way down the width of the ribbon. You want to leave at least a 1/2 inch uncut.
8. Measure out another length of ribbon as long as you would like. Mine was 4 feet long.
9. Find the center of the ribbon and tie it around the folded ribbon.
10. Start separating and fluffing out the folds until you are happy with how your bow looks.




This is what my ribbon bow looked like in the end:
 
 
To get it to hang on the door, I simply took a smaller piece of ribbon and tied it around the thumbtack that I put on the door. I used the knot from the ribbon in Step 8 to anchor this third piece of ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment