Friday, October 12, 2012

A Few Poems

In my last semester of college, I took a poetry writing class. Ever since then, I have found writing poems to be a wonderful way of releasing ideas and emotions. A year ago today, my grandfather Raul passed away. While it was a very sad time for all of us, there was a sense of relief because he was no longer suffering. Inspired by my new-found love of poetry, I decided to write some poems about what the week he passed meant to me and how it affected me. Many thanks to those who helped me through it. You know who you are.

October 10, 2011
Unexpected news at the end of a great day.
Confusion.
Why is Dad going?
Slight panic.
What is going to happen?
When is it going to happen?
I want to go

October 11, 2011
All the feelings come at once.
Sad that he is slipping away.
Anxiety not knowing what
or when it would happen.
Guilty about not being with the cousins.
Hopeful that I might see him again.
Scared that I won't.

Everything is hard today.
Hard to eat.
Hard to sleep.
Hard to talk.
Hard to pray.

I can't do anything but cry.

October 12. 2011
A wave of calm takes over.
Or maybe I've exhausted
all the feels.
I still feel it all,
just not as intense.
This day is not lived,
but survived.

The call comes at night.
I keep packing
and try to sleep.
I can't.

October 13, 2011
1. Wake up.
Try to eat.
Go to class.
Try to sleep.
Last things to pack.
Quick lunch.
Get picked up.
Drive to Chicago.

2. Time with family
Just what the doctor ordered.
Though I barely know
most of them,
I know I belong.

I eat two meals.
I sleep a full night.
I still cry.
Baby steps.


That's all for now. Blessings and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment